Thursday, February 25, 2010

Judged

Sometimes at my job, I feel a little bit self-conscious. The people that I work with are so talented and creative and just insanely good at what they do and it makes me downplay my own accomplishments. I really love doing floral design and although I'm not the best at it, sometimes I finish an arrangement and feel so accomplished; I'll look at it and just get this feeling like, "oh yeah, I'm good". But then I look at what the person next to me is making and my mouth drops. Because of this, I often find myself wondering about how everyone else feels about my work. When I'm filling an order or the cooler my mind starts racing with thoughts like "did she just look at my arrangement?" or "I wonder if she thinks I'm crazy for using so much liatris?" I think part of the reason for these insecurities are because when a bride or even just a regular customer will come in and ask for something specific that is not what most girls would deem "cute", as soon as that person walks out everyone (including me) will start criticizing the things she chose. "Can you believe she wants sunflowers for her bouquet?", "What is she thinking using babys breath instead of wax?" or "Cascading? Not hand-held"? It really is quite funny when you think about it and no one should really care at all because we all have our own likes and dislikes and who needs some strangers approval? For that matter, why do I need approval? As long as I feel good about what I do, that's all that matters, right?

2 comments:

  1. That is funny - I can't believe she used that much liatris. I don't even know what liatris is. I wish I knew something about floral design - it's just ... cool or something. But that is interesting that the people you work with rag on people's choices once they leave the store. I would be all, "Carnations? What is she thinking?" And you are totally right that it shouldn't even matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whatever, when they see your arrangements they are probably thinking "woah, i can't believe she used the much liatris... why didn't i think of that?!"

    ReplyDelete