Friday, January 1, 2010

Branching Out

I consider myself to be a pretty traditional cook. By traditional I mean that I usually stick to the tried and true recipes that I know and love, but because of this I don't have much variety in my cooking/baking abilities. The last time I really challenged myself was probably when I made chocolate chip cookies in Mexico without having measuring utensils, normal ingredients, and an ancient oven with no way to set the temperature. So the night before my birthday this week I decided that I wanted to find and try a new cake recipe. Amy and I searched online for a while and found a recipe for a Chocolate-Coconut Bundt cake. We put on our aprons and got to work. The cake was nothing special but it was fun to try something different and spend time in the kitchen with my big sister who is pretty much pro at finding and successfully making delicious new creations. Now I think I'll try some new kind of bread recipe. Jennie, would you care to join me?














P.S. I took these pictures with my new camera that I got for Christmas! What do you think?



4 comments:

  1. Hey your photos turned out great! And I ate the rest of the cake that you sent with me - I actually liked it better the second day even.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and did I tell you that trying new recipes once a week is one of my New Year's resolutions? I'm making carne asada for Sunday dinner. Maybe I will even try making tortillas from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to try some new recipes. Come on down and we'll spend a day baking bread and playing with Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha oh those mexican cookies. What an adventure. That oven was ridiculous! Remember how they used it as a cupboard to store their pots and pans?? And they had to light it with a match. :)

    ReplyDelete