Friday, July 3, 2009

Bienvenidos a Mexico

Today we went to some ruins near Merida called Dzibilchaltun, meaning "the place of writing on stones". It was really interesting and there was a small temple there called "El Templo de Siete Munecas" or the house of seven dolls. It was very hot today so we were very excited after the ruins to go to our welcoming party at a house on the beach. One of our directors from the University here has a home right on la playa del Progreso. The water was incredibly warm and my favorite part was that all of the houses on the beach have small pools the size of hot tubs but deeper with fresh, cool water to wash in after being in the salty water. It felt absolutely divine.



This was the cenote at Dzibilchaltun. They have found many sacrificial items in it such as pottery, jewelery and human bones. This was one city where they are sure that the winners of the Mayan ball game were sacrificed rather than the loser.

The Temple of Seven Dolls




These were probabaly living quarters.

The Gulf of Mexico and the Beach of Progreso.





5 comments:

  1. P.S. I don't have a great internet connection so I may not be posting very many pictures on my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am listening to the Mana song you talked about in your last post as I write this comment. I really like it. How did Dzibilchaltun ruins compare to Uxmal or Coba or Tulum in size? They were pretty high on my list for ruins that I wanted to visit. And the beach party sounds like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was much smaller than the others and there was no large temple like at Coba or Uxmal. I finally got some pictures up but it was so bright out I could really see the screen so they are sometimes a little crooked or not centered, but enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa, that is a cool cenote. How did they know that the winners, not the losers, were the ones who were sacrificed? And I think we should have taken more photos at the beach because that water looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete