Monday, May 3, 2010

Hermanas' Conference and First Baptism

Thanks for the recipes Amy! I think those should work, except for the chocolate cake one because I they don´t have buttermilk here but I think I can do the yellow one and I think we´ll just eat it without frosting because I also can´t get powdered sugar. But the brownie and banana bread recipes should work great.

This week was the Hermanas conference. We left here on Tuesday night and got to Montevideo in the morning where we went to the hostel to spruce ourselves up, Hermana Peterson likes her sister missionaries to pretty. Whatever. So then we ate breakfast at the mission home which was french toast and bananas and it was really good. Later the president spoke to us and told the story of Winston Churchill and...was it Alexander Flemming who discovered penicillan? Anyways I think I had heard it but it is really cool. It´s starts out about a poor man who saves a young boy from drowning and then come to find out the father is a rich man and offers compensation for saving his son but the poor man doesn´t want anything so the rich man offers to pay for the poor man´s son to have the same schooling as his son. The poor man´s son becomes a great doctor and discovers penicillan which saved the life of Winston Churchill who was the rich man´s son. I think it goes something like that, but it was in Spanish so I might not have gotten that all right. It was good though. After that Hermana Peterson had someone speak to us who was there visiting but had been their first couple missionaries. The lady´s sister started some company where for 100 bucks you go and they tell you if you are spring summer winter or fall, and from that what colors look best on you. So she explained about what colors look good on what types of people and then she took each of us one by one to the front to tell us what we are. It took about two and a half hours and to me was the biggest waste of time. I couldn´t believe that they took that much time with missionaries to talk about appearance, how ironic considering that missionaries are usually thought of as being drab. At the end everyone got a scarf that was a ´´good color´´ for them. Mine is leapord print. Whoo whoo! Can you believe that they gave a sister missionary a leapord print scarf? It is hilarious and have made good use out of it already.

Later for lunch we had that soup that they make at cafe rio and it was good but not very filling and then we had oriental chicken salad for dessert. It was all really delicious. We also listened to the wife of the new temple president speak to us and she was really fun and I liked her talk. Of course we had the talent show thing and I was super nervous about singing and when my part came my voice pretty much came out as a whisper and hermana moreno started laughing, it was not the funnest thing but oh well, it´s over now. Hermana Peterson did give two more blankets to the new missionaries since it the nights are getting colder with winter coming. It was fun to do something different and see hna crofts, who is doing well, but I don´t know if it was worth 16 hours on a bus and two nights of sleeping sitting up halfway. I am probabaly just being a little negative though.

Adriana and Gabriel were baptized on Friday and confirmed yesterday during church. the baptism was really nice and hermana moreno and i sang our portuguese hymn again and i did much better singing for a people that i was a little more familiar with and I knew can´t carry a tune themselves. I sang the harmony for I know that my Redeemer lives and I think everyone was genuinely touched, especially Adriana who is from Brazil.

In other big news, Carlos, not sure if I have mentioned him, also accepted a baptismal date for next Saturday as well a man named Jesus. Those are interesting stories, more because they are weird than anything, and wrote about it in a letter that I will send plus I will talk to you on Sunday.

Speaking of which, I guess is will be better if you call me at 8:00 my time, so I think 5:00 your time. Once again my phone number is 00598 773-1633. If our phone doesn´t ring I will be calling you in a panick.

I know I just told you a new address to mail things to, but I guess the offices they were going to move to didn´t work out. So discard that last address and use this one:

Enrique Martinez 1175
Montevideo Uruguay
C.P. 11.600

Oh, I almost forgot to talk about my letters and packages! I got a package with Easter candy and cards from renita and judy and grandma and grandpa, and also the package from mom with knee highs, crystal light, cherry sour balls, and snackwells and some other things. It seems like they weren´t opened or anything and got here just fine. I also got a letter from mom with stamps! That is wonderful and I´m excited to send some letters tomorrow. I also got a dear elder from mom and lanae and natasha and some emails and a letter from rochelle and renita. It was a GREAT tuesday. Thank you everyone! and here´s wishing that tomorrow is just as great!

The next change is coming next week, we will find out on monday and then tuesday is when we move. So I´m not sure what day I will email but I think it will be tuesday. but that´s no biggy because I will have just talked to you on Sunday. I´m really excited about this change. I think that I will get a new companion, hna moreno says they never leave a new gringa with a latina for more than one change, and also the missionaries that i traveled with to the mtc will be coming so, hopefully I will see hna smith in the near future at a conference or something. i think that I will stay in Artigas though. I feel like I´ve just started to get comfortable here and I like our house and the our ward. They have been talking about changing our area so that there will be areas in the darker area but I think they might just altogether take out one pair of hermanas and since hna mcewen is done I think she and hna moreno will leave and I´m hoping they will move hna flores over to our house to be my companion. I´ll tell you more about that on Sunday. I can´t wait to talk to you and I hope you are all doing good. I feel like there´s something I´m forgetting to tell you but I don´t know what and I´m out of time. I love you so much! Talk to you on Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!

Love, Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment